HAND WROUGHT FORK – GAYLORD SILVERCRAFT
The Gaylord Farm Sanatorium was a tuberculosis rehabilitation center in Wallingford, CT, and was run by New Haven County, CT. The Gaylord Silvercraft Workshop was established there in 1925 to provide vocational and occupational training for patients. It produced many items of jewelry and household / table items until its closing in 1944; those were sold in the Workshop store and to small dealers and stores. There have been catalogs compiled from annual reports showing the numbers of items made, and they indicate very few serving forks. The style was Arts & Crafts, reflecting on Early American forms. This fork is typical of those pieces, with a modified trefid handle and hand-hammering on the front (where there is an Old English “B” monogram), while the surface of the blade / tines remains relatively plain and flat. The back is also plain, and marked with the Gaylord mark of a “T” between two wings, the words “sterling” and “hand wrought.” The condition is quite good; there are are no bends, scratches, or other damage. It is 9 in. long and weighs 78 grams.