Lovely Bethelehem, PA Tablespoon by Jedediah Weiss
Offered is a lovely and large America coin silver tablespoon bearing the mark of Jedediah Weiss of Bethlehem, PA. This table spoon probably dates to the period of 1825-40 by style, but could be a little earlier or later. It measures about 9 1/16 inches in length, and weighs about 56 grams. Condition is excellent, with light wear from normal use but no dents, splits or repairs. An excerpt of Mr. Weiss' obituary, published in the September 3, 1873 edition of the Bethlehem Globe, gives the following information: "Died, after a short illness, at his residence on New Street, this morning, (Sept.3) at 2 o’clock, our venerable and much esteemed townsmen, Jedediah Weiss, in the 78th year of his age. The subject of these memoirs was born at Bethlehem, on the 21st of February, 1796, and was the second son of John George and Elizabeth Weiss, m. n. Snyder, a cousin of the late Gov. Simon Snyder. Having availed himself of the opportunities which were at that time afforded in the day school for boys at Bethlehem, young Jedediah was in his 16th year indentured to John Samuel Krause, clock and watchmaker, who was then doing business in a small shop that stood on the west side of Main Street, on the site of the building latterly occupied by G.W. Riegel. Here he was taught the elements of the craft, in which, by dint of his native genius, he in later years rose to honorable eminence- and here, on the decease of his employer in December, 1815, he assumed the business for himself, although he had not yet attained his majority. John M. Miksch and Chas. F. Beckel are the survivors of the three young men who worked side by side for a time in Weiss’ shop, during (as the latter was wont jocosely to style them) “the days of the Republic”. On the 26th of November, 1820, Mr. Weiss was united in wedlock with Miss Mary Stables of Alexandria, Va., who had for several years been a tutoress in the Young Ladies’ Seminary at this place. Hereupon he entered his new place of business, and dwelling on the east side of Main street, a few doors below the Sun Hotel, (on its site stands the Globe Building), where for forty-five years he continued the business of making and repairing clocks and watches, the manufacture of silver spoons and the sale of jewelry. Here a number of young men, too, were well educated by Mr. Weiss in the mysteries of his handicraft, and here in 1847 he constructed a clock which involved a new application of principles in mechanics- designed for the steeple of St. John’s Lutheran Church in Allentown. This was but one of a number of ingenious combinations with which his inventive genius delighted to engage itself. In 1865, Mr. Weiss retired from business..."