Fine Large Bethlehem, PA Coin Silver Tablespoon by Jedediah Weiss
Offered is a large and early Bethlehem, Pennsylvania coin silver tablespoon bearing one of the maker's marks used by silversmith Jedediah Weiss - this spoon relates to a pair of spoons I am listing today with Weiss' initial mark; this spoon, however, bears Weiss' full name mark. Weiss' biographical information follows a description of the tablespoons. These spoon measures about 8 3/4 inches in length and weighs about 56 grams. This spoon bears a large and well-executed period engraved script monogram of 'AEN' - this spoon is from the same family as the pair listed separately, which are monogrammed 'WSN'. Condition is good, with minor dings but no splits or repairs. All in all a fine piece with a hard-to-find maker's mark! Jedediah Weiss was the subject of an obituary published in the Bethlehem Globe in 1873 (excerpt): Died, after a short illness, at his residence on New Street, this morning, (Sept.3) at 2 o'clock, our venerable and much esteemed townsmen, Jedediah Weiss, in the 78th year of his age. The subject of these memoirs was born at Bethlehem, on the 21st of February, 1796, and was the second son of John George and Elizabeth Weiss, m. n. Snyder, a cousin of the late Gov. Simon Snyder. Having availed himself of the opportunities which were at that time afforded in the day school for boys at Bethlehem, young Jedediah was in his 16th year indentured to John Samuel Krause, clock and watchmaker, who was then doing business in a small shop that stood on the west side of Main Street, on the site of the building latterly occupied by G.W. Riegel. Here he was taught the elements of the craft, in which, by dint of his native genius, he in later years rose to honorable eminence- and here, on the decease of his employer in December, 1815, he assumed the business for himself, although he had not yet attained his majority. John M. Miksch and Chas. F. Beckel are the survivors of the three young men who worked side by side for a time in Weiss' shop, during (as the latter was wont jocosely to style them) the days of the Republic. On the 26th of November, 1820, Mr. Weiss was united in wedlock with Miss Mary Stables of Alexandria, Va., who had for several years been a tutoress in the Young Ladies' Seminary at this place. Hereupon he entered his new place of business, and dwelling on the east side of Main street, a few doors below the Sun Hotel, (on its site stands the Globe Building), where for forty-five years he continued the business of making and repairing clocks and watches, the manufacture of silver spoons and the sale of jewelry. Here a number of young men, too, were well educated by Mr. Weiss in the mysteries of his handicraft, and here in 1847 he constructed a clock which involved a new application of principles in mechanics- designed for the steeple of St. John's Lutheran Church in Allentown. This was but one of a number of ingenious combinations with which his inventive genius delighted to engage itself. In 1865, Mr. Weiss retired from business; (it should have been stated that for upwards of 25 years he had held an interest in the line of stages on the old Philadelphia & Wilkes Barre route), and exchanged the bustle of Main street for the quiet of the little cottage in which he spent the evening of his long and useful life, recreating himself according to his fancy- with his tools, or with his books- (for he was an industrious reader in all departments of literature), with his friends, his music and his beloved bees; happy in his old age as he had been happy in his youth and in his manhood. Mr. Weiss was perhaps better and more widely known as a musician than as a tradesman and a man of business. For upwards of 50 years he was eminently identified with the music of his native place.