Stunning French Tin Cognac Advertisement c 1905 for Bar
$300 free shipping in USA
Extremely handsome lithographed tin advertisement for Comandon cognac dating from about 1905. The colors are bright and vivid, and the design epitomized the marvelous and duly famous French advertising art of the period. It is in excellent condition with only minor, barely noticeable, defects. It is approximately 19Ĺ inches tall by 14 inches wide (50cm by 36cm). From the Comandon Website: "In 1804 Napoleon became Emperor of France. Napoleonís constant warfare in Europe started the decline of cognac exports, particularly with Great Britain, the primary consumers of cognac at the time. After the fall of Napoleon in 1815 and the removal of trade barriers between France and Great Britain, a period of great business activity started in the towns of Cognac and Jarnac. The House of Comandon was founded in 1821 by 20-year-old Pierre Comandon who was quick to seize this new growing opportunity, and he established his business on the Charente river bank in Jarnac. He later became the mayor of Jarnac in 1851, and he was an important player in the development of cognac sales overseas with dominant market share positions in South America, India, and Africa. Louis Comandon was the second generation in the business. He had a significant role in the reconstruction of the cognac vineyards after the phylloxera plague hit Charente and destroyed most of the vineyards in 1875. He was also an important elected official in Charente who was involved in the political decisions which later concluded in the 1909 and 1936 decrees, creating the General Area for the production of Cognac and the controlled appellations of Cognac. The actual "Maison Comandon" is located in the old Cognac town. It is considered to be the oldest house in Cognac with its foundation built by the Romans in 418 BC. It is also considered as one of the first house in the city of Cognac which started the production of Cognac. Its cellar, named "Paradis" for cognacs, has a perfect humidity and further history related to the Pelgrims of Saint-James the 2nd Apostle and half brother of Jesus Christ (see route of Saint-James of Compostella). The House is located at the top of the rue Saulnier, exactly at No.1 rue Saulnier, the historical street of cognac makers and negociants."