Early Tiffany Coin Silver Sugar Sifter
Tiffany first established itself as a retail silver merchant, only becoming an exclusive manufacturer in the 1860's. Part of the lore about Tiffany is that the company established a higher bar than others, apparently requiring from 1852 onward a sterling silver standard for all its flat and holloware goods when coin silver was otherwise the predominant market grade. This coin silver sugar sifter bearing the pseudo hallmark of Henry Hebbard (New York) along with "Tiffany & Co" presumably dates pre-1852 and is evidence that the company did sell coin silver as well as sterling. The piece measures 7 3/4" long and weighs a substantial 2.3 T. oz. It is an Antique Thread design with a feathered script "TBW" monogram. The scallop shell bowl has round piercings between the ribbing of the design. It is in excellent condition with a flawless form and a fine finish. Very slight softening from polishing of the engraved monogram is the only sign of use.