Wood & Hughes "Lily of the Valley" Almond Scoop
click for more pictures for item 1697f
This c. 1870 interpretation of "Lily of the Valley" offered by Wood & Hughes is a three dimensional pattern assembled from various cast elements.
This popular mid 19th century form of construction in silver has been described by one source as "jewelry-esque." It represents crafting of the highest form, employing exceptional skill of the sort the 19th century excelled in.
This example is an 8" long, 1.2 T. oz., almond scoop. The central portion of the handle is tubular and is fitted with a single lily of the valley leaf on its end. This establishes a backdrop for a stalk of blossoms. This whole assemblage has a matte finish, with the backside of the leaf monogrammed "J.W.B." in feathered script lettering. The serving end is a singular form. It is a hooded scoop having a folded surface, pointed end, and rolled edges. It has a bright gold wash on the interior, and a satin matte finish with a light gold wash on the exterior. The join between the bowl and the handle has a double leaf detail, which is just more evidence of the exquisite sense of design that went into this item. It is in near perfect condition.Apart from two barely perceptible dings in the bowl, this shows no wear or signs of use. Marks are "W&H," "Sterling," and the name of the retailer, "Wm. Glaze," of Columbia, South Carolina, lending it a southern provenance. William Glaze was a person of note who, in addition to being a jeweler, became a gunsmith and was a founder of the Palmetto Armory. Information about him is readily available on the internet.