Meriden Britannia Hammered Sterling Footed Dish
click for more pictures for item 2174f
Meriden Britannia had been a well-established company producing quality silverplate for half a century when it entered the sterling market with the purchase of Wilcox & Evertsen in 1895. Shortly thereafter the whole firm became a part of International Silver Company, but the use of the MB nameplate continued until about 1930.
This open, probably candy, dish likely dates from early in the 20th century. It stands 3" at the highest, is 5 1/2" long, 4 1/2" wide, and weighs 4.5 T. oz.
It combines at least two design modes, in that the shape and general sensibility seems to derive from the Colonial (English) Revival style popular in the period. Additionally, it has an overall hammered surface, which offers homage to the Arts & Crafts movement that was also coming into its own during the early decades of the 20th century.
In sum, this combined approach results in an attractive and successful item. It is relatively simply, but not so much so as to be undistinguished. The hammered surface adds engaging texture and creates interest. There is a rolled rim that is both decorative and reinforcing. It stands on four cast, talon form legs that are themselves an exercise in good design.
It is in superb condition. It is free of dents or evidence of wear, and the finish is brilliant.
Marks are the Meriden Britannia "bird with raised wings" emblem, "Sterling," and the model number "1314B."