Bailey & Co. "Kings" Heavy Coin Silver Place Spoon
click for more pictures for item 2821f
This 7" long, very weighty at 1.8 T. oz., coin silver spoon variously identified as a place, dessert, or oval soup, has a double provenance.
It is marked Bailey & Co. (1848-78) for the firm that became Philadphia's renowned "Bailey, Banks & Biddle." It also carries the pseudo hallmark of manufacturer "Taylor & Lawrie," who sold to "Bailey & Kitchen," forerunner of "Bailey & Co."
Citing D.A. Soeffing, Dorothy Rainwater in her "Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers" notes, "In 1852 Taylor and Lawrie . . . went into business for themselves, although they apparently still, on occasion, supplied silver to Bailey & Co."
Marked as it is, this piece offers corroboration of that continuing association, at least for some period after 1852.
The pattern is an English "King" with a down turned handle. It is double die struck, meaning the design appears on both sides, with the backside having a delicate, feathered script "BB" monogram.
It is in exceptionally fine condition, free of polishing wear and having a bright finish. The bowl remains well-shaped, is without dents, dings, or nicks, and has a pointed tip.