Tifft & Whiting Engine Turned Paneled "Pure Coin Silver" Mug
click for more pictures for item 2863f
The Whiting Manufacturing Company, which eventually became one of the premier American silver manufacturers of the 19th century, had its origins in North Attleboro, Massachusetts in 1840 as "Tifft & Whiting," and operated under that name until 1853.
This 3 3/16" tall to the rim, 3 5/8" to the top of the handle, 2 11/16" top diameter, 3.2 T. oz., mug traces to that early firm. It bears the company imprint on the underside, which is a "rooster, T&W, and raised arm holding hammer" emblem, along with the standard designation "Pure Silver Coin," essentially a New England term, and the number "15."
It has an octagonal base that supports eight panels. The tops of these are rounded and yoked to a small open space that lies below an applied, circular rim. Seven of the panels have engine turned surfaces, while the one where the hollow, cee scroll handle is attached, has roulette engraving. The open area below the rim and the reserve on the front panel are bright cut engraved in a leafy design. The reserve is also inscribed "S.C.S. to S.W.S."
It is in excellent condition, showing little evidence of use. It remains round on the top and sits evenly on the base. The engine turning and engraving are crisp, while the finish is bright and even. There are no dents or splits in either the body or handle, save noting one small pinprick dimple on the lower portion of one side panel.